Over the past couple years I have heard many promoting deregulating corporations and privatizing many government industries. Don’t get involved in their business-Big Business is the answer to all America’s problems. Many making these arguments make the claim there is too much government-cut government and get them out of the way of the corporations. Let corporations run the country and our lives will be better!
Fox news rallied many people to protest the government and President Obama for “taxing and spending.” Fox goes for our emotions; challenges our fears until there is nothing left but to raise signs in protest and throw tea bags. CNN dazzled us with dizzying light shows. We watch like a cat watching a string-ooh cool flickering lights.
I’m going to break this down –
- Recently many banks have run this economy in the ground and now we, the American people are paying for it.
- Food companies; self regulated gave themselves good grades for the FDA and many people have gotten sick and died from tainted foods. All of this so food companies can make a greater profit.
- Our government gave billions of dollars of bail out money at taxpayer expense and then we were appalled by the outrageous bonuses from many of these same companies. Yesterday, I learned AIG lied about the bonus, they were 4 times then what originally reported.
- During this recession and high unemployment, Credit Card Companies started jerking with good paying customer’s accounts; raising interests and billing cycles. This was going for a long time, but now people are standing up for their consumer rights.
- Recently President Obama has taken on many of these corporations (Bank of America) have off shore accounts, offices and evade US taxes; not to mention giving away jobs to foreigners. Just imagine-KBR (A company with a US military contract accused of electrocuting soldiers pays NO taxes, yet the average American plays about %25 of their national income. Think about it-A company killing US soldiers pays NO taxes.
- We learned that many of these companies spent a lot of money on lining the pockets of our politicians. Visa spent $1.7 million dollars in lobbying last year and not surprising many of these companies pay money to political campaigns. Corporations giving money to politician spells corruption.
We, the American people are paying taxes to our government to get behind corporations who evade taxes. Instead of consumerism, these corporations should just take the money from our pockets.
So here is the question I ask fellow Americans. Are we okay allowing big business and corporations to run our government and run all over us? Do we want to drop our drawers and bend over for these corporations? It is President Obama and the Democrats standing up for consumer rights. Why protest. Shouldn’t we stand behind those standing up for us? Remember, it is the republicans standing up for the corporations.